Monday, January 23, 2006

A Tree in the Woods....

"I am," I said
To no one there
And no one heard at all
Not even the chair
"I am," I cried
"I am," said I
And I am lost, and I can't even say why

The other day in class, the philosophical question “if a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it, does it make a sound?” was raised in our discussion. I recall this question coming up once before in a class on reality I took at Fort Lewis College. I came home and googled it to refresh my memory about the discussion; unfortunately, I did not come across anything useful. There was a great deal of chatter but nothing of real substance.

When I raised the question, I was not thinking of the simplistic argument about a tree possibly hitting other tress on its way down creating vibration as it hits the ground. My focus was not on sound waves as it travels through the forest in search of acknowledgement from someone with ears to perceive the sound. Instead, I was thinking about Life and whether or not it exists even if there were no humans, anywhere to experience it.

I believe that life dose exist outside of the human experience, that we should be grateful for the experience and take a lesson from the dinosaurs, to realize that nature or our own suicidal tendencies, we can be wiped from existence. In which case, I have faith that life will find a way to manifest itself and continue to thrive even if I am not here to witness.

No comments: